Frontline is a tough formula that works to kill ticks and fleas. Using fiprinol and (s)-methoprene as its active ingredients, this product also works to attack larvae and eggs. This formula can be used on dogs and cats, however, users just need to make sure they purchase the right product for their pet, as buying the wrong one could make them ill. This top of the range treatment is quick to apply, and is thought to be the better flea and tick solutions on the market.
With the ability to last for up to thirty days, and effective at helping to keep fleas at bay, this solution is waterproof, and it can help to prevent the transmission of diseases that ticks often carry. Thought to work better than some other similar products such as PetArmor, this solution also works to prevent pupae, larvae and eggs from developing.
How does Frontline work?
Research that recently took place showed that the ingredients included in Frontline are able to get to work within a period of twelve hours. It does this by storing itself in the skins’ oil glands, helping to protect your four-legged friend. This means that if your dog or cat has fleas, they should be completely flea-free within twelve hours, making them feel a lot more comfortable, and a lot less distressed.
How to apply the solution
This flea formula is easy to apply, simply:
- Take the green pipette out of the box, and lift the tab up, before removing it. Once removed, you should see some foil. Now peel the foil, or alternatively use scissors to help you open the tube.
- Hold the pipette upright, ensuring that the foil is facing towards you.
- Snap the tip of the pipette.
- Now using your other hand, part your dogs fur, specifically between his or her shoulder blades.
- Place the top of the pipette slightly above the skin, and squeeze until the contents starts to come out in one drop.
- Try to avoid the solution getting on the top coat.
- Give your dog some positive reinforcement so they feel better about the procedure.
- Wash your hands, and avoid touching the area of application until it is dry.
Does it work immediately?
No, but the solution will work within twelve hours, meaning your dog or cat should start to feel much better very soon.
Using on puppies
When it comes to using this flea solution on puppies, you need to be sure that your four-legged friend is as least four weeks old before you apply it. If your little puppy is less than four weeks old, you may simply have to use a flea comb to remove the fleas.
Using on kittens
If you find that your kitten has fleas, you may be pleased to know that you can use the Spot On formula on them, if they are more than eight weeks old, and weigh more than 1 kg. If your kitten is less than eight weeks old, you may simply have to use a flea comb to remove the fleas.
Frontline vs PetArmor
While this product is thought to be the leading brand, there are other similar products that work in almost the same way. Unfortunately some of those similar products such as PetArmor don’t have the same effects as this brand. Although both brands work to kill fleas, PetArmor will only kill the fleas and larvae once they have hatched, whereas this formula will work to kill the eggs, and larvae before they hatch.
Common questions about Frontline
- How fast does Frontline work? – This flea solution takes up to twelve hours to work.
- How long does it last? – Once effective, it should keep your pet protected for up to thirty days.
- How many days after a bath can you apply it? – You can apply Frontline as soon as your pet is completely dry. However, once the solution has been applied, you should wait at least forty-eight hours before you bathe your four-legged friend again.
- How long does it take to dry? – The area of application usually takes about twenty-four hours to completely dry. During this time you should avoid contact with the area.
- What to do if it does no longer work? – Once the solution has been applied, you may start to see more fleas on the surface of the fur. This occurs because the fleas are dying, and when they do so they tend to jump around, moving to the surface. Seeing the fleas on the surface means the formula has started to work.
- Does it kill fleas? – Yes. This product contains (s)-methoprene and fiprinol, which are the active ingredients, these ingredients work to kill fleas.
- Does it kill earmites? – Yes. Use the product as per the instructions, and give your pets ears a clean two days later to get rid of any dirt.
- Does it kill ticks (even if it’s already attached to the dog or cat?) –Yes.
- Is it effective for earthworms? – No. Frontline Plus is also a topical ‘Spot-on’ type application and is used for the treatment and prevention of fleas, ticks and lice on dogs and cats, however the main difference is that Frontline Plus has no effect against heart worm.
- Does it have an expiration date? – No. Make sure the packaging is sealed, and kept at room temperature, then it should be ok to use whenever you need it.
- What are the main complaints? – Please see the reviews below.
- Amazon (For dogs) – Frontline Plus is sold on Amazon for $10.94 for a one month application for dogs, when purchased directly from Amazon itself. Sold through a third-party seller, buyers will find that it’s sold for $17.96. Other sizes are available, and prices do vary. Buyers can also purchase Frontline Gold for dogs, and it’s available in a six pack, sold for $101.95 by a third-party seller.
- Amazon (For cats) – Frontline Plus is sold on Amazon for $39.49 for a three months’ supply. This product is also sold by third-party sellers, and prices will vary.
What we like
- It lasts for thirty days – Once the solution has been applied, it will get to work within twelve hours, and last for thirty days. This means that cats and dogs will be free from fleas for a whole month, before the solution needs to be applied again.
- It has two active ingredients – While many flea formulas only contain one active formula, Frontline contains two: fiprinol and (s)-methoprene.
- It works to kill fleas, ticks, pupae, and larvae – This means that your cats or dogs will no longer have to put up with the itching and discomfort that’s associated with fleas, ticks, pupae, and larvae.
What we don’t like
- The price – This flea formula is quite expensive, and it’s the cost that could put many people off. There are other flea formulas available at a much lower price, however they don’t all work in the same way. If you’re not able to afford Frontline, you may have to use a cheaper and less effective product instead.
- Fleas often come to the surface – As soon as they start to die, fleas will come to the surface, making them more visible, and perhaps even more likely to jump off your pet. This can be slightly distressing, even though it’s a sign that the solution is starting to work.
Among those who were happy with Frontline, the most common reviews cited how well it worked. Other reviews mention:
“…This is the only treatment I’ve tried that actually works…I’m so thankful this brand keeps the fleas away...”
“…It worked very well for my cats…”
“…Miracle worker…following day puppy was no longer scratching nor biting…”
“…Works for us every year!…No nasty side effects…we love this…”
Those who wish to purchase this flea formula may wish to keep these reviews in mind when doing so.
Among those who were displeased with Frontline, the most common complaints cited the lack of efficacy, other reviews mention:
“…The first drop used showed no improvement for my poor sweet cat…and yes, I did go by the instructions on the package …”
“…waited about two days and the fleas came back with a vengeance! Would not recommend product…”
“…I’ve become convinced Frontline just doesn’t work…I think I’ll switch to a different flea/tick control product after this …”
“…Doesn’t work. Don’t know if it’s old or not the real thing but after three months of use it just doesn’t work…”
While this may not necessarily be what you experience when using Frontline, it’s something important to keep in mind nonetheless.
Does Frontline work?
Frontline is thought to be the leading product in the flea formula market. With two active ingredients, and the ability to work quite quickly, it seems to have quite a good reputation among many of its customers. There are products out there that are cheaper than Frontline, but these are not thought to work as effectively, and they certainly don’t all have two active ingredients.
Thought to work within a period of twelve hours, and effective for thirty days, if your dog or cat has fleas, you may want to use this formula to kill them. However, please make sure you only use the formula that’s been specifically made for cats on your cats. If you’re willing to pay the slightly higher price for this flea formula, you could find yourself with a solution to those nasty fleas, ticks, pupae and larvae. If you cannot afford this product, a cheaper brand may be the way forward.
Please let us know what you think about Frontline, has it worked for you?